Wednesday, August 21, 2013

GSP on keeping a Whitebelt Mentality


In this great book "The Way of the Fight", Georges St-Pierre talks about keeping a whitebelt mentality, staying humble, and learning from everyone. This is a concept which has allowed GSP become the greatest welterweight of all time:

I keep the white-belt mentality that I can learn from anyone, anywhere,anytime. For those of you who have never tried martial arts, the white-belt mentality is the first thing you understand, on your first day as a beginner when you receive your white belt: everything is knowledge, all must be learned. I try to maintain that mentality. When I discover an element that I think can be useful to me, I adapt it to my routine and my outlook; I submit it to a trial-error-and-refinement process. If it passes the test, I incorporate the new knowledge into my arsenal. I practice it and build up my muscle memory to perform it properly. I enter the octagon with an open, fresh mind,and with support from my handpicked team. And finally, I apply the innovation at the right time. It becomes who I am, and it means that innovation keeps me ahead of my competition. It means that my foes must adapt to me, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment




More interesting and intelligent quotations